Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, May 18, 2021


            

When the Ground is Hard, Clap When you Land and Fighting Words

Lisa

I really loved all three books, and intend to have a copy of all of them in my library. All of these books made me laugh and cry, and invited me into strong girls lives very unlike my own. It was an eye opener to read about the caste system in Swaziland boarding schools and the second families that many white men have. These books all have the underlying theme of power, and who has it, and what individuals do when they are being oppressed: submit to the power or fight back. As we are acknowledging systemic racism, oppression and segregation in the western world, these are all timely books that have strong female characters that will change the status quo.


I loved the dual narrative in Clap When you Land, and the unexpected twists and turns as again we read about men with multiple wives and children.  I have empathy for the people who don’t want to leave their homes, but economic opportunities force them to leave the people and places they lovel.  The author did an incredible job of describing the lives of the two girls, and the struggles both faced in different parts of the world woven into an historic tragedy.  I could empathize with both girls, and the strength of the girls prevailed.  


Fighting words is still my favourite book.  The content is tough, but told with compassion and humor, and endearing characters.  We have to make space for tough books to tackle with important stories to be told.  


Brianne

This is a really tough round. All three books are deserving and offer timely narratives of strong, vulnerable female characters that readers can empathize with with ease. If I’m voting for my students, I think Fighting Words takes this round as it is the most accessible story of the three. I think Clap When You Land and When The Ground is Hard both offer twists and turns and excitement, yet the vocabulary in both might prove challenging for many readers. 


Karlee

I haven't finished “Clap when You land” yet although I am enjoying how real it is. It is so honest and true to what grief can look like for some. I think it is a real eye opener for how some families have to live and how dependent they are on one family member. 


I am enjoying some of the nuanced things in the actual text (i.e. spacing,  breaks in stanzas) that make me read it a little differently and more conscientiously. 


I love that all three books have strong and authentic female characters.  I love the depth of the characters in each book. I feel torn between When the Ground is Hard and Fighting Words but I still think about Fighting Words all the time. So my vote goes to Fighting Words. 


As Brianne said, I think the other 2 are fabulous books with great lessons but perhaps at a higher level or for stronger readers.


So 3 votes from Ellerslie for Fighting Words

1 vote for The Ground is Hard


No comments:

Post a Comment