Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Latest and Greatest!

 This round was a tough one for sure!

Fighting Words and When The Ground is Hard were both very poignant. 

In my eyes Fighting Words takes this round. I found that I could more easily connect with the story and found that I was getting choked up fairly often. Being a teacher and seeing how Della was treated at school really hit home for me. Although When The Ground Is Hard is also a fantastic book, I found it more difficult to connect with the story as it was difficult for me to imagine the story taking place; the setting was harder to visualize.

While I participate in Smack Down I look for the books that will work in my classroom. I want books that I can hand to students and say "you'll connect with this. This book is for *you*." In this regard, Fighting Words wins out!

No comments:

Post a Comment