Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Finals!!!!

 

My Final Thoughts.


Clap When You Land- I enjoyed the dual narrative of this story and was invested in the sister’s journeys of grief and of discovering each other. However, I felt that the story was resolved abruptly and somewhat unrealistically and it didn’t stick with me like the other two options. 


Fighting Words - I enjoyed this book far more than I was expecting to. Once I started reading, I needed to know more about Della and Suki’s story and could not put the book down. I appreciated how the author dealt with the heavy subject matter of trauma and abuse respectfully. As I read I could feel the heaviness of the events without anything becoming too graphic. 


When the Ground is Hard - I loved this book. I appreciated how the story dealt with class structure and racism in a thoughtful and meaningful way. I loved how Adele grew throughout the story through her relationship with Lottie. It was so satisfying to watch these two girls become friends and see how Adele learns to be more understanding of the people around her as a result. When the Ground is Hard is a powerful book and even though I read this book back in January, I still have an emotional response when I think about it. 


When the Ground is Hard wins it for me. 


Emily O from Sweet Grass

No comments:

Post a Comment