Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Monday, November 5, 2018

Macy vs. Marrow


One of my colleagues had asked a couple of questions about Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess so I went on a quest to find the answers on yesterday's snowy afternoon. I thought the answers might be of interest to others on our team or others who might read either of these titles.

Today was actually the second time that I read Macy. According to my Goodreads, I read it for the first time eight months ago. Full discloure: I love novels in verse ever since I did a project on them. At that time, there were very few available.

My colleagues questions were:
Why verse? and
How does the author decide where the line breaks will be?

This interview by author Amanda Rawson Hill had the answers to both.

And, ever since we met to pick our books for the first round, I've been meaning to post an interview with author Cherie Dimaline, the author of Marrow Thieves.


Like Macy, I had read Marrow Thieves back on Spring Break. However, after listening to the CBC Radio - Unreserved interview that is linked to on this page, I decided to listen to the book which I did in the summer. And, I plan to listen to it again for this round of Smackdown. As far as I know, the audio for Marrow Thieves is only available through Kobo.

In the interview, at about the 10 minute mark, Dimaline talks about stories being passed on to her. Then she talks about circles and repetition. I like how she describes drawing a circle with a pencil on paper, tracing over it, and when you lift the top page there is an imprint on the page after, "that's how we transmit what 's important through the generations."

No comments:

Post a Comment