Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Sunday, January 14, 2018

I Have What is Likely a Stupid Idea.....

But, whatever.

It's round about this time in the Smackdown where I realize that, in a few scant months, I am going to be expected to choose a Zombie Pick (which is actually kind of a big deal when you recall the number of Zombie Picks that have battled back from the dead to win the whole shebang).  And, invariably, I am basing my choice for Zombie Pick on a couple of books that I managed to read over the summer/school breaks and those that have already been cast off by myself (or the hive mind of my team).  I might not be remotely close to choosing the ZP that deserves an actual resurrection.

So....

Comment to this post about those books that YOU CAN'T BELIEVE ARE ALREADY GONE.  Maybe a few words why.  Actually, I'll make this easier:  if you can't believe that another team has cruelly dumped something that you really believe is great, something that you read of your own volition or in an earlier round, and could potentially win the whole thing, post the title and four words that describe the book in the comments.

This way, in all of our spare time (HAH!), we could read a few things that would steer us in the way of making a more-informed Zombie Pick.

I'll start:

March (John Lewis and Andrew Aydin):  moving, important, intensely relevant

Calvin (Martine Leavitt):  charming, clever, dream-like (periodically)

Any other MUST READS for a ZP?


7 comments:

  1. March: Necessary, Relevant, Crushing, Hopeful
    Undercover Louis: Gentle, Organic, Beautiful, Sincere
    Wolf Hollow: Insane villain, beautifully told
    Female of the Species: Time's Up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calvin by Martine Leavitt: hopeful, curious, doubtful, imaginary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salt to the Sea- Should have gone futher (but it started off against Hate U Give).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Hate U Give - Learn empathy through understanding

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved The Female of the Species, but I realize it's the mature content matter makes it difficult to recommend for many students. I haven't read The Hate U Give, but based on other discussions I would love to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salt to the Sea - tragic, poignant, historical, hopeful
    Wolf Hollow - reminds me of To Kill a Mockingbird (I'll never grow tired of it) and I recommended to my 11y.o. daughter as a change from Harry Potter - she loved it too

    ReplyDelete