Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

March, March, March!  Joe Lewis's autobiographical graphic novel about the American Civil Rights movement was captivating.  I don't usually enjoy graphic novels because the visuals distract from the movie playing in my head.  March showed me the potential of print and visual in tandem.  From start to finish March enlightened, informed and enthralled me.  The writing, whether it is the description of courage shown by thousands, or the explanation of the the hours and years of collaboration and debate or the vision that fueled a movement was easy to read.  I would use this set of three books as one of my small group reading choices in junior high book clubs, so that a group of socially minded teens could devour the life lessons Joe outlines.  The artwork was so precise and intricate that I had to reread pages many times over, and I did not resent having to spend the time absorbing every detail.

My only question is whether  the majority of junior high students would have the stamina to read all three independently? There will be some that relive history as they read but  I believe many high school students would love to read the recounting of justice.

I had the pleasure of attending a Freedom Writer conference where Joe was our key note.  Our morning with Joe was held in an intimate setting.  Joe is not a tall man yet his unassuming presence changed as he spoke.  He is hilarious, brilliant and humble.  Service has been his life mission and it resonates through every story he gently tells.   At the end of Joe's speech he said "there are many who say things will never change.  I am here to tell you things do change.  The rate at which change occurs is up to each individual in our society, and rests upon how much we are willing to do."  I returned back to my grade 9 classroom, mid-May inspired,  and repeated his message.  The kids and I committed to our annual legacy project to be completed by June and the end result surpassed everyone's expectations.

March is a story about people who are systematically told 'they can vote' but the obstacles in their way could have been insurmountable.  As I read the books I could hear Joe's calm and strong voice and I could feel the emotions of the characters.  I believe this set of novels could engage teens and help them to find their conviction to make a difference, and to show them how much it can take to do the right thing.  My vote is for March!

No comments:

Post a Comment