Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Just Bombing along, Counting by 7`s and trying to determine the One and Only Mighty Smackdown winner

All puns aside, these are 3 very different books that all present their own interesting, unique reading experiences.  I have already recommended these to both teens and adults, with positive feedback received for each.  These books work for a variety of different reading tastes, but which should I choose?

To follow the format of House Hunters, I think I will eliminate one title.  Of the three, the one to go first is “Counting by 7’s” Even though it was a feel-good story that I thoroughly enjoyed, it was a little too coincidental. Life never wraps everything up quite as cleanly.

So now the battle, for me, rages between Bomb and Ivan. I loved Ivan and could see myself including it in Literature Circles in the future. There are some really teachable themes in this quick read. But, if I have to pick a winner – and I never thought I would hear myself say this – I choose “Bomb”.  I am not a science or history geek, but that a book about historical science could hold my interest means it totally deserves my vote.

Bomb is the mightiest for me, this year.

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment