Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Final Post

What to choose, What to choose… Last year’s choice was very straightforward for me – this year, not so much. I enjoyed all the books that made it into the final round and keep going back and forth between Counting by 7’s and Bomb. (Must admit that I am surprised that Eleanor and Park, Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock and Wonder are not part of this conversation.) I have recommended Counting by 7’s and Bomb to different students and students have responded very favourably to both. The discussions have been rich, thoughtful and passionate.
In the end, I am going to vote for Bomb. I feel Bomb is that wonderful combination of non-fiction told in story/narrative form and will have wide appeal. For those who enjoy non-fiction, this particular time in history, science and mysteries, I do not think they will be disappointed. I also feel it is the kind of book that has the potential to attract readers who sometimes shy away from or hesitate to read non-fiction.  

Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment