Smackdown Books 2018

Wolf Hollow
Salt to the Sea
The Serpent King
Optimists Die First
The Hate U Give
Orphan Island
Dan vs. Nature
The Female of the Species
March
Unbecoming
Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere
Paper Girls, Vol. 1
The Passion of Dolssa
The Distance Between Us
When We Collided
Louis parmi les spectres
OCDaniel
Girl in the Blue Coat
Refugee
Defy the Stars

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Final Post

What to choose, What to choose… Last year’s choice was very straightforward for me – this year, not so much. I enjoyed all the books that made it into the final round and keep going back and forth between Counting by 7’s and Bomb. (Must admit that I am surprised that Eleanor and Park, Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock and Wonder are not part of this conversation.) I have recommended Counting by 7’s and Bomb to different students and students have responded very favourably to both. The discussions have been rich, thoughtful and passionate.
In the end, I am going to vote for Bomb. I feel Bomb is that wonderful combination of non-fiction told in story/narrative form and will have wide appeal. For those who enjoy non-fiction, this particular time in history, science and mysteries, I do not think they will be disappointed. I also feel it is the kind of book that has the potential to attract readers who sometimes shy away from or hesitate to read non-fiction.  

Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment