Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Never A Fan of the Close Call

Ask anyone who knows me, if I'm cheering for a team I like a rout, I like my team to win by thousands, and my opposition flailing to complete a play. I know that makes me a poor sport but I am a loyal fan. As I write this, we still have no clear winner and it would usually be at this point that my stomach would be roiling and I'd be screaming at the screen as the blogs went for and against "my" pick. Not today, though, because all of these are my pick. I love all of these books - I even loved Forgive Me Leonard Peacock that seems to be getting post zombie love. I would pitch all of these books to readers and use all of them in the classroom for various purposes.

 I do want to say, however, that Leonard Peacock and Counting by 7s are two sides of a coin. They both follow the trope of kid lit and YA. I find it surprising, then, that there are groups who love LP and fail to love Counting by 7s. Both books start where we've been before, manage, at times, to rise above and both give us an ultimately satisfying read. Team Sweet? Team Angsty? Maybe we need t-shirts.

Now to my vote. Since it is so close, since I loved them all, since Arlene threatened me and I love to scrap with her - I'm crossing the ABM floor and voting for Bomb.


No comments:

Post a Comment