Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Monday, May 28, 2012

I just finished my last Smackdown book this weekend, and while all three had their merits, I was easily able to take A Tale Dark and Grimm out of contention.  For me, it read quite young.  The second person narrative voice in between stories became annoying quickly, and I found myself skipping over them so I could get on with Hansel and Gretal's adventures.  To paraphrase Mark Twain, don't tell me that it's going to get scary; let the monster come on stage and roar.

Then it was between Okay for Now and A Monster Calls.  Having read Okay last round, I was quite set on championing it to the finish.  I really enjoyed reading this story, even with the feel good happy ending bits like the remorseful father, kicking cancer girlfriend, and accepting Vietnam vet brother.

And then I read Monster, and had to concede to the stronger story.  Visually appealing, well written, and metaphorical to boot.  I have since shared it with a few of my colleagues, because it was such a touching story. I think I even shed a tear at the end.  But just a small one, and very quickly, so no one  could see.  I enjoy teaching a number of texts that involve nasty things happening to young children ("A Modest Proposal", "Celebration", Popular Mechanics", Tsotsi), so when a story really captures me, I can only bow down to the talents of the author and be grateful I had the opportunity to share his/her world for awhile.

So I am plugging for A Monster Calls, and fingers crossed it makes the final cut!

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment