Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

When The Ground Is Hard - Dances away with the win

I was invested in both stories. I thought about which students I could hand these books to. Fighting Words was real, raw, emotional, and strong. The language was a bit easier to read than When the Ground Is Hard, but the themes were just as deep and developed. I had a strong emotional reaction to this one. When The Ground Is Hard taught me so much about Swaziland in the 1960s, class, race, and boarding school. I was thinking about the story long after I read it. It even compelled me to do some further research. Not every book gives me that reaction. When The Ground Is Hard is a Winner!


No comments:

Post a Comment