Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Clapping all the way..

Three lead females, and which to choose?! The journeys each of these characters takes us on has been interesting. Some of these books lend to the classroom, others not so much, so which ones would I pick up again or are memorable to me is what is guiding my decision. Fighting words and When the Ground is Hard are page turners for sure, but the one that left lingering questions about the story, the plot, the characters, and the link to the real world was Clap when you Land. 


Fighting Words and When the Ground is Hard touch on tough topics, and ended in a way that left me satisfied. But the book in verse, which was new to me, offered me two stories that resolved but in the nick of time. I admit, I knew that the two girls would meet, so I had to exercise patience to get to that part of the story. It all wrapped up, but I wanted to know more...about how Camino's journey goes in NYC, about the real life plane crash, the stories that came from that, if they could really be true or not, how would we ever know or if they do remain sealed secrets forever. This is where the art of the author comes in, and gave me more to chew on

So for me, it is Clap When You Land!

Rushmi from Sweet Grass

No comments:

Post a Comment