Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Friday, January 7, 2022

The Lion of Mars eclipses Me and Banksy (Team 5)


It's my responsibility to, somewhat begrudgingly, announce that The Lion of Mars has rocketed into round 3 (4 votes to 1) 

The Lion of Mars: 

  • The Lion of Mars would make an excellent read aloud for Grades 4, 5 and 6. While I enjoyed the story it left me wanting more. I wasn’t satisfied with the sci-fi elements, especially for a story that takes place on Mars. Overall, the Lion of Mars was an enjoyable read that has left me feeling optimistic and hopeful for the future of space colonization. 
  • My vote goes to The Lion of Mars. I  felt there was a natural progression as the story unfolded. However, it was somewhat disappointing when a major conflict was resolved with one or two sentences. This left me thinking, “That’s it?!”

Me and Banksy: 

  • I absolutely loved Me and Banksy! I know a common critique of the novel is that Dom and her friends plan this street art protest rather than telling a trusted adult and getting their help to deal with all of the cyberbullying. What’s important to note is that Dom and Saavni tried to tell the principal about the cyberbullying, but Principal Plante did nothing to prevent future incidents. While I have some concern that some students may be inspired to commit similar acts of street art vengeance after reading Me and Banksy, I think the message is far more important than the potential student led protests. Ps. This novel would make a great read aloud or novel study companion to the movie, Moxie (2021).  
  • Me and Banksy was quite a boring read for me. I found the plot dragged on, and was left beyond underwhelmed with the principal’s storyline. Boring. Boring. Boring.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment