Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

One Vote for Moonrise

I've lost contact with my team - hopefully that wasn't strategic on their part - so this is my solo vote. I vote for Moonrise.
While I enjoyed both books, I found myself expecting more from Patron Saints, but getting less, and expecting less from Moonrise, but getting more. What I really enjoyed about Patron Saints was that it explored filipino culture and took place in the Philippines, which isn't overly common in the YA that I've read, and I felt that it also incorporated LGBTQ+ characters pretty seamlessly. I think that, overall, my vote might've went to Patron Saints if it had been grittier. I wanted some grit!
With Moonrise, I was pretty engrossed right from the start and enjoyed finishing an entire book in about three hours. Something I found neat (for lack of a better word after a long day) was that I had no idea about the nationality of the protagonist and his family until about half to three-quarters of the way through the book; I found myself imagining the family a certain way, and was a bit shaken when they were not as I suspected. I think this is a good thing as it made me question why I was imagining things as I was, and could start some great conversations in classrooms.
Books written in verse aren't usually 'my thing', and Moonrise didn't change that. I didn't find that the verse added anything to the book aside from making it a quick read, but I do think that it packed quite the punch for a book that contained such a small amount of text.

No comments:

Post a Comment