Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Mason Buttle vs. Ghost Boys

The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle: Connor, Leslie: 9780062491435 ...      Ghost Boys: Rhodes, Jewell Parker: 9780316262286: Books - Amazon.ca

My vote this round goes to Ghost Boys. I read Mason Buttle first and found it to be a bit boring. I was waiting for something big to happen for the majority of the book. When I was ten pages into Ghost Boys I was more entertained and intrigued than I had been halfway into Mason Buttle. I think Mason Buttle would be a good read for elementary aged kids, maybe around grade 5 or 6 (the main character is in grade 7). Ghost Boys would be more suitable for junior high, in my opinion. I would recommend it as a grade 8 independent read. It does remind me of The Hate U Give which a lot of grade 8 and grade 9 students have enjoyed.

1 comment:

  1. As for my zombie pick, I honestly don't have one! I think Patron Saints of Nothing should be the Smackdown winner this year. I personally think it is better than the other reads.

    ReplyDelete