Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Wednesday, January 8, 2020


Patron Saints vs. Sadie

While I enjoyed Sadie more than I expected, I would like to see Patron Saints of Nothing proceed to the next round. Once again though, I’m choosing the feel-good pick with the tidy ending, but I like thinking that taking a journey, reaffirming a piece of yourself, and seeing what you’re capable of is worthwhile reading. Wait, that describes both books. Let me try again. Reading about the turmoil of family, the things people keep secret through silence, and who’s willing to act for justice inspires me to consider the power of familial bonds for both destruction and redemption. Hold on, that also describes both books. Hmmm. Well, I appreciated the layered storytelling and investigative journalism elements that point to the value of someone else authentically telling your story if for some reason you don’t have the ability to tell it yourself. Dang it! That also describes both books: one through letters and one through podcasts. I swear, I did choose a winner. The winning book shows how bearing witness and confronting those responsible for the ones we have lost is a brave and often healing act, especially if we feel we share some responsibility for losing them. It also delicately, yet unflinchingly looks at how drug use promises comfort or release, then addiction traps people in lives they never thought they would be leading. Guess what! That also describes both books! Tough choice.

When looking at the covers, blurbs, and even endorsements of these books, I would not have guessed that upon reflection they dealt with similar themes, messages, and challenges. Maybe it was so striking because I read them back to back, but I would seriously recommend Sadie to those who enjoyed Patron Saints and vice versa. What pushes me toward Patron Saints really boils down to the rich cultural elements that are essential to Ribay’s story. I got to travel with Jay to the Philippines, see the sights (beautiful and ugly), imagine the smell and taste of food I’d never heard of, and learn about a political situation I am also embarrassingly ignorant about (but less so since reading the book). The fact that Jay and his father have a heart-warming breakthrough in their relationship at the end and that Jay has a new-found purpose and plan for his future is a nice touch, but I simply enjoyed Jay’s journey more than Sadie’s. I maybe admire Sadie as a character more, but for book recommendations decided over a glorious two weeks away from school, my vote is for Patron Saints of Nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment