Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Monday, January 27, 2020

Patron Saints of Nothing in EVERYTHING...

Patron Saints of Nothing is EVERYTHING...


...Ok, that might be a lliitttllleee bit of an exaggeration. The book is damn near close though! Telling the story of a young Filopino-American boy who visits The Philippines after the death of his cousin, Patron Saints is a riveting tale right off the bat. Not only is the story accessible, it is very interesting and well told. I found myself trying to solve the mystery with every new piece of information. 
A telling sign of a great book is one that has you thinking long after you've read it. Not only did I spend hours researching the Drug War after I finished the book, I also thought of all the students I would recommend this book too. As a first generation Canadian myself, I understand the importance of representation in books! I can definitely see this book as being one that would be "the book" for a few of my students.


That being said, We'll Fly Away is also great! The characters tug at your heart strings, the story makes you ask questions. Like Patron Saints, I was trying to figure out what the "big event" was. The subject matter is tough, and it was heartbreaking. 

Ultimately, Patron Saints immediately drew my attention. It definitely took longer for me to become engaged in the story of We'll Fly Away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment