Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Thursday, November 28, 2019



Good Enough vs What the Night Sings


Tristin: 
Of course, just as I think I’ve figured Smackdown out...I’m literally smacked down.  I thought for sure, What the Night Sings would be moving onto the next round.  So my post is going to be in support of What the Night Sings, not Good Enough.  Books about the Holocaust are abundant, but I thought this book was unique.  Not only was I taken into the horrors of the Holocaust, but I was shown the recovery process after the war ended.  I haven’t read many books that show us the treatment of Jews post-war and how they were reintegrated into society.  How the gained back their lives.  Some pulled into their faith, some ran from it.  Some went home, some fought for a new life and country.  
Gerta was an intriguing character because she didn’t even know she was of Jewish heritage prior to the war.  Her father had kept it a secret from her.  When she is picked up the Gestapo she is confused and has to come to terms with her father’s lies.  Unlike many in her situation, she didn’t have her faith to lean on throughout the coming years, she only had her music.  I also found Gerta’s struggle after the Holocaust to be thought-provoking.  After being told who she was and that she should be ashamed of herself, Gerta wanted to define who she would become after her rescue.  She was a girl when she was taken to the camps, and she was released as a young woman.  She’s confused and struggling to find her voice.    She was once again told what her role was as a young woman and a Jew.  When I spoke to others in my group, they found Gerta marrying was against what she said she wanted.  But I disagree, she wanted a partner to walk through the coming struggles with.  A companion.  Yes, she would have to compromise certain aspirations, but I think she finally realized that just because the Holocaust was over, didn’t make the world a safe place.  The war ending didn’t end discrimination and hatred towards Jews.  She couldn’t go back to her old life or her hometown, so she needed someone to take a leap of faith with.  To start an entirely new life with.   Overall, I loved the book.  It made me think and was a unique take on a story that has been told multiple times before.  

Good Enough...is a perfect title.  Because the book was just that...good enough.  I thought the idea was interesting.  Riley’s internal dialogue was interesting  because I was able to see inside of her decisions and her disorder.  Riley’s struggle was intriguing and would relate to many students in my classroom.  But I thought her recovery was too tidy.  That she had only a few setbacks on her journey to a better relationship with food.  I didn’t hate the book, but I didn’t love it either.  It was okay.  I sigh to think What the Night Sings isn’t moving forward, but that’s how Smackdown goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment