Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Darius was OK...

I really, really wanted to love Darius.  I had read raving reviews and bought it for the library early this year and already started it twice.  I was happy to have a new book to offer kids who were looking for a Persian character.  I figured this round was going to give me the excuse to finally get around to finishing it.  And I did.  And it was okay. 

What I liked about it was that it took me to Iran as a tourist and described interesting places I didn't know about.  It brought me a little way into Persian culture and explained some points of view and customs I knew little about.  I liked that the story had characters living with depression rather than the story being about overcoming depression.  It took me a little too far into understanding a good cup of tea (I prefer coffee).   In the end, though, I was only left with, "That was okay" (insert shrug here).  One of my reader colleagues here really felt Darius was just a little to whiney.  I just wasn't bowled over.  Perhaps I had set my expectations too high.  I simply had enjoyed the characters and story more in Far From the Tree.  Westmin votes for Far From the Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment