Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Friday, April 6, 2018

Scythe for the Win.

Smackdown the 8th - Round 4
By Van, Debbie, Anna


Scythe                vs The Smell of Other People’s Houses
             


Debbie: We have to make a pick for tomorrow!?!  Eek!


I’m going to make this quick. While I enjoyed "The Smell of Other People's Houses" (actually, I
enjoyed the title more than the book itself...too many underdeveloped characters to keep track of),
my vote is wholeheartedly behind "Scythe"...loved it.


While I'm at it...my vote for the zombie pick is definitely "Wolf Hollow".
Excellent book for grade 4 and up.


Vanessa: Wow - this one snuck up on me - but I had read both books so I’m good to go.  
I gotta be honest, I’m a Scythe fan, tried and true. A little gross at times but I loved the story and
it has stuck with me.  And, I loved the sequel Thunderhead. Neal kept me wanting more and I
listened to it as a audiobook start to finish in one day.
The Smell of Other People’s Houses toyed with me.  The beginning was slow and I thought the story
was disjoint  but then a new chapter would start and it would be beautiful and I would think....this
might beat Scythe.  But the seesaw went back the other way and just as I wanted to know more,
the story would turn. It was good, then it wasn’t, it was good, then... And for me, it would be far fewer
a person I could give TSOOPH’s to that would enjoy as much as they would enjoy Scythe.  I’m
Team Scythe all the way, all day!

Zombie Pick: Yeesh - I love Refugee and The Hate U Give but I got the most feels from
The Hate U Give so that’s my Zombie pick.

Anna: I must say that “Smell of Others People’s Houses” is not my favorite. Each chapter seems promising and then sort of fizzes out. I could not be patient with this novel :(

My zombie pick is “Wolf Hollow”

1 comment:

  1. Co-signed on Wolf Hollow. Well, both The Hate U Give AND Wolf Hollow. But more Wolf Hollow because it is the forgotten second cousin of this year's Smackdown.

    ReplyDelete