Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

OCDaniel zaps When We Collided


OCDaniel by Wesley King When We Collided by Emery Lord
                         

Van and Deb:  Well, this round was a lot of mental health issues  - bipolar vs depression vs OCD.   That being said, both books had merit and both books had challenges.  We’ll keep it short  - they were both stories that gave you the opportunity to experience these mental illnesses from a first hand perspective which we like as it is often difficult to empathize with someone if you can’t imagine what it’s like.  How often do you hear, “but they can control it”... For us, When We Collided, was just too much - too much sadness, too much impulsivity, just too much.  With OCDaniel , we felt we could sell that book to more kids and it also had a character that not only had to tangle with OCD but could could also be a hero.  
Our vote is for: Knock,knock, Daniel.  Knock, knock, Daniel. Knock. knock, Daniel.

Cristina and Anna: t seems we are all in agreement between these two books! Interesting that they were placed together in this round. When We Collided would be a tough sell to my students because I just don’t think they’re at the stage where they can relate to Jonah and Vivi’s relationship. It was a very “adult” book in my mind, but not necessarily because of the sexual content. OCDaniel was so relatable, and ticked so many of our boxes - it was quirky, funny, intriguing, insightful and pulled hard at our heartstrings. While still about a relationship between two dysfunctional beings, OCDaniel didn’t take itself quite so seriously and wasn’t drowning in overwrought dramatics. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed When We Collided, but it’s just not the stuff my classroom bookshelf is made of. I’m afraid it would sit there, unloved and unwanted by my kiddos.


OCDaniel FOR THE WIN!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that OCDaniel beats out When We Collided. As a grade 8 teacher, I would absolutely teach OCDaniel to my students (I have 32 copies on order as of today!) This is definitely a book that junior high students can relate to in some way or at least empathize with the main character, Daniel who suffers from reoccurring "zaps." It was appropriate for this age level. Daniel's silent struggle within his family life was realistic as were his experiences as an athlete and in his newfound friendship. Although I didn't entirely love the ending of OCDaniel, I did feel it was more realistic than the ending of When We Collided. OCDaniel would be a very entertaining book for junior high students as it involves a bit of a murder mystery and some humor. I teach a few books throughout the year that focus on being open to and accepting others who have varying types of disabilities and/or disorders and I believe this book fits perfectly with that specific outcome.

    I did enjoy When We Collided and the different voices of Vivi and Jonah. I connected with the character of Jonah much more than the character of Vivi. As stated above, there was too much impulsivity with Vivi throughout. I understand her mental illness quite well and yet, I found there were several parts in the book that were not realistic for a girl her age with her illness. Not realistic to me, anyway. I personally would recommend this book to other adults as an entertaining read but likely not to students.

    I really enjoyed reading both books but OCDaniel is the clear winner for me!

    ReplyDelete