Smackdown Books 2018

Wolf Hollow
Salt to the Sea
The Serpent King
Optimists Die First
The Hate U Give
Orphan Island
Dan vs. Nature
The Female of the Species
March
Unbecoming
Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere
Paper Girls, Vol. 1
The Passion of Dolssa
The Distance Between Us
When We Collided
Louis parmi les spectres
OCDaniel
Girl in the Blue Coat
Refugee
Defy the Stars

Thursday, May 5, 2016

One Vote for Jellyfish

I admit I'm casting my ballot and I still have 50 pages left to read. Really though, I had already made up my mind before starting Jellyfish. I couldn't stand Crossover, for reasons that I already outlined in a previous blog post. The Romanovs was okay, and I think that a lot of students might be interested in it. But I'm a fiction guy at my core. There's something about a good story that does it for me. While I agree with Brent's assertion that the prose lacked much punch, Jellyfish is an easy-to-read, relatively enjoyable narrative. If that doesn't sound like high praise, it's because I still feel lukewarm towards it. Nevertheless, there must be a winner and I think that of the three finalists, Jellyfish is it.


No comments:

Post a Comment