Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Thursday, May 5, 2016

One Vote for Jellyfish

I admit I'm casting my ballot and I still have 50 pages left to read. Really though, I had already made up my mind before starting Jellyfish. I couldn't stand Crossover, for reasons that I already outlined in a previous blog post. The Romanovs was okay, and I think that a lot of students might be interested in it. But I'm a fiction guy at my core. There's something about a good story that does it for me. While I agree with Brent's assertion that the prose lacked much punch, Jellyfish is an easy-to-read, relatively enjoyable narrative. If that doesn't sound like high praise, it's because I still feel lukewarm towards it. Nevertheless, there must be a winner and I think that of the three finalists, Jellyfish is it.


No comments:

Post a Comment