Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Monday, May 19, 2014

The Bomb was the Bomb...

I adored all three of these books.  The One and Only Ivan was a tear-jerker.  It was a beautiful story, with a wide appeal.  It was simple, yet elegant, and definitely memorable.  Counting by 7's was another tear-jerker.  It was also a story that has rich characters and a contemporary set of circumstances.  It was a story that was believable and realistic and so endearing.  But the Bomb was the Bomb...and that surprised me.  I was initially not excited to read it.  Once I did, maybe it is the social studies lover in me, but from the first page, I was hooked.  I love stories that are historical and that make history come alive for students.  This story was a page turner, and it was brilliantly written.  I loved that I struggled to not relate to the "bad guys", but that is realistic in history.  I think it lends itself to fabulous conversations in the classroom.  But I am casting my vote because I think it is a story that will be the most appealing to secondary students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment