Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Monday, April 14, 2014

Not With a Bang But a Whimper

I have been procrastinating on this post as the two books are good, but neither are amazing.  While I wanted to love Patrick Ness's More Than This based on his previous work, the book just did not have what it takes to keep me engrossed.  It was okay.  I was honestly surprised to see it make it this far.  I knew going in that Bomb must have something magical to keep it moving forward, and it did have some glimmers of greatness.  Again,  not a book that I MUST recommend to my students the day after finishing it, which is the benchmark I use for books-that-must-be-read.  It was certainly interesting, and while Sheinkin's narrative style and my ignorance on the topic kept the plot going, I still finished this book thinking, "Wow.  We live in a crazy world.  Now what can I read that does not involve the splitting of uranium atoms?"

I guess that's why I reluctantly vote for Bomb to move forward.  It is the better of two slightly-more-than-lukewarm choices.  And while my zombie pick might be wasted as this book was eliminated early and very few others probably read it, I would love to see Eleanor & Park resurrected.  It deserves a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment