Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Raven Boys vs Inside Out and Back Again Part Two

From Shelley Pitzel

Inside Out and Back Again - So Unexpected

I was thoroughly disappointed when the book arrived and I looked at it. I did NOT expect to like it, nor did I expect that kids would like it either. However, it is an engaging story, told through the eyes of child. I found myself unable to put it down, often reading more than I had originally budgeted for time. Though eloquently written, and filled with emotion, it was a bit too sophisticated for such a young audience.

Raven Boys -

I thought I would like Raven Boys more than I did. It started out strong, that story was very clever and included a lot of rich background information. I liked the juxtaposition of the rich and poor, the traditional, upper-crust prepatory school with the earthy, free-spirited psychics. I think young readers would like the dark nature of the story, for example hanging out in the cemetery waiting for the spirits of dead people. The story seemed to lag a bit in the middle and lose focus. It pulled out of the nose-dive in the end, and so I would say that I liked it, but I didn't love it. The ‘Twilight’ generation, who can appreciate the 'underworld,' and are not burdened with a longing for a good storylines, would be enthralled by Raven Boys. Therefore, my choice is Raven Boys

 

No comments:

Post a Comment