Smackdown Books 2018

Wolf Hollow
Salt to the Sea
The Serpent King
Optimists Die First
The Hate U Give
Orphan Island
Dan vs. Nature
The Female of the Species
March
Unbecoming
Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere
Paper Girls, Vol. 1
The Passion of Dolssa
The Distance Between Us
When We Collided
Louis parmi les spectres
OCDaniel
Girl in the Blue Coat
Refugee
Defy the Stars

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Raven Boys vs Inside Out and Back Again Part Two

From Shelley Pitzel

Inside Out and Back Again - So Unexpected

I was thoroughly disappointed when the book arrived and I looked at it. I did NOT expect to like it, nor did I expect that kids would like it either. However, it is an engaging story, told through the eyes of child. I found myself unable to put it down, often reading more than I had originally budgeted for time. Though eloquently written, and filled with emotion, it was a bit too sophisticated for such a young audience.

Raven Boys -

I thought I would like Raven Boys more than I did. It started out strong, that story was very clever and included a lot of rich background information. I liked the juxtaposition of the rich and poor, the traditional, upper-crust prepatory school with the earthy, free-spirited psychics. I think young readers would like the dark nature of the story, for example hanging out in the cemetery waiting for the spirits of dead people. The story seemed to lag a bit in the middle and lose focus. It pulled out of the nose-dive in the end, and so I would say that I liked it, but I didn't love it. The ‘Twilight’ generation, who can appreciate the 'underworld,' and are not burdened with a longing for a good storylines, would be enthralled by Raven Boys. Therefore, my choice is Raven Boys

 

No comments:

Post a Comment