Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

The Final three were no contest!

 The final three was a no-contest for me... Fighting Words is my pick for the win! This was one of those books that I picked up one evening, and put down crusty-eyed early in the morning having devoured the whole book in one sitting. Bradley made me fall in love with her characters right from the first chapter - who doesn't love a swearing ten-year-old, or a moody 16 but acts 26 year old? The relationship between these sisters, and the relationships they have with other women in their life demonstrates the real-power and importance of these relationships like this. It made me think about my life, and the relationships I have (I definitely texted my sister after reading this book!) Fighting Words echoes the challenging experiences of trauma that many of our students have had, or knows someone who has experienced and I think that's important. I've read criticism that it might trigger some students, and that's true, but this book doesn't try to hide who it is, or what it's about - it tells you flat out from the beginning. It is a story of love, triumph, heartbreak, struggle. The highs brought me high and the lows broke me down. I read it and immediately thought of students I wanted to share this book with, and that is what it comes down to for me. 


Ashley from Ivor Dent

No comments:

Post a Comment