Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

FIGHTING WORDS 

What an amazing story. I’ve read a few of Bradley’s other books and Fighting Words hits the deepest. Della weaves a heartbreaking story of survival and hope that will touch many, many lives. I was incredibly moved by this story; it will stick with me for years. Fighting Words deserves a spot in every junior high classroom. While the content of the novel will be too heavy for some readers, especially in regards to age and reader  maturity - the conversations around consent are essential. Della, encourages Naveah and her friends to find and use their voices to stand up to sexual harassment. While this book should come with several trigger warnings - Fighting Words is an incredible story that too many people should - must - read. The realities of child sexual abuse and parental neglect are discussed delicately in a way that builds the reader up for the heavy conversation to come. Bradley speaks from the heart and from personal experience. She is careful to unravel Della and Suki’s stories slowly with plenty of caution and genuine care and concern for her readers. I can’t say enough about this book! Please put this through to the next round!!! 

 

I have to agree that this novel is a bridge to important conversations; however, I have to say, as a piece of literature it falls short.  I found it simplistic and predictable with very straight-forward, unimaginative writing. None of the beauty of words that make writing special. I would place it in div. 2 for readability, but the content of childhood sexual abuse makes that challenging.  But, that is what makes it accessible for all readers.  This is a book that needs to be read by everyone.  

 

(Karlee)

I found this book incredible. The resiliency Della and her sister show throughout is amazing for their ages and their experiences. I appreciated that it was told from Della’s POV. I can’t quite explain why i felt it was so much more impactful to see it through Della’s eyes- perhaps it is because of the innocence and straightforward way kids can see things. When I explained this book to someone else, I explained how important it is that stories like these be told because of the number of kids who experience trauma like these characters. The relationship between the sisters broke my heart because I could connect with Suki needing to protect her sister. That was such an honest and profound part of their story.  For me this also speaks to the fact that we never really know someone’s experience.

 

I just had a thought. I think this book is important for RIGHT NOW bc kids now are seeing and more exposed to overly and unhealthy sexual and intimate relationships with their continued and often free access to the internet. I think this book can go a long way to reinforcing the message of consent and speaking up when something happens.

 

I agree with Lisa (I think) about how this book would be great for Div. 2 (5’s/6’s) but the sexual abuse is a topic to navigate carefully. Although, I think it IS important for kids that age to know about it because of the shockingly high statistics of childhood sexual abuse, particularly the fact that it is often committed by a trusted adult.   This is a book that needs to be read.  It would be a great read aloud that can be navigated appropriately with the teacher over sensitive issues.  


WHEN THE GROUND IS HARD

This novel was so beautifully written with lovely pacing. I loved how it was specific to its context, but the struggles within are universal and could be found in any middle school. Students would totally connect to this story.

Again, these are stories that need to be told.  The issues of division between white, colour and black in African countries need to be explored.  


I thought this book was beautiful. I think it created a child appropriate way to explain life in another country and the challenges that people face. I appreciate the strong female characters. This story offers sooo many opportunities for incredible discussions: racial divide, difference between cultures, gender roles, female oppression, poverty, judgement, positive friendships, sexual harassment, challenges with peer dynamics, bullying, etc. I really felt that the author “set the scene” without being overly descriptive. It was woven in so well to the story line. 


We all loved both the books, and so again, lent them to some of my avid grade 9 readers, and they both suggested Fighting Words to go through:)



No comments:

Post a Comment