Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Thursday, January 7, 2021

 

New Kid by Jerry Craft

vs

The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise by Dan Gemeinhart

Carrie: New Kid - Accessible read. Worth the read and I’d recommend it to others, but the story just wasn’t as strong for me as Coyote Sunrise. The main character is definitely relatable. 

Coyote Sunrise - Huge fan of Coyote Sunrise! Engaging narrative. Loved her perceptiveness. So many good, good moments in this one. My vote for sure!


Kim: Both these books were well worth the time it took to read them. 

New Kid

Follows Jordan’s journey through the school year. Humorous. Great for reluctant readers because the visuals and colors of the book are very appealing. This book moved me one step closer to appreciating and enjoying graphic novels.  Will definitely read Jerry Craft’s newest book, Class Act.


Coyote Sunrise 

The story of a girl losing her mother and two sisters drew me in and the quirky characters and livin’ on a bus kept me reading. This book took me through a span of emotions - heartwarming experience of Coyote getting her first kitty, joy and surprise at picking up stray travellers, angst as the minutes are ticking by and it looks like she won’t reach home, anger that her father is not letting her speak of her mother and sisters, etc. 

Thoroughly enjoyed this book and it is the hands-down winner of this duo for me.



Maureen: Enjoyed both books.  Although I loved the quirky characters of Coyote Sunrise the main character was a bit too insightful (thinking about her age and life story) - I appreciated the format New Kid much more than I thought I would and I feel like readers would be able to relate strongly to the pressures the main character felt. Winner - New Kid


Gisele: New Kid 

Loved the graphics and the way complex issues were explored so subtly - so many issues were touched on, but it was never an “in your face” sort of exploration; it felt very realistic to the character and the context, and felt very much like the life of any one of my students. I enjoyed the extra nuances and humor of graphic details like the angel on his shoulder.  A fun yet significant read.

Winner - New Kid



Suanne: This is a tough vote for me. I read both books last year and immediately purchased my own copies to add to my classroom library. The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise is my favorite and most memorable character. Yes, Coyote, seems to be a bit too wise for her age, but her adventures are what kept me reading. I’ve read a number of Gemeinhart’s books and keeping a box of kleenex nearby is a must. I book talked and recommended this book many times and only a few took me up on it. Those that did enjoyed the story but didn’t have the same love of the character that I have. Perhaps it’s my dream to travel the country in a converted bus that clouds my judgement? 

New Kid was a book that I could not keep on my shelves and had a waiting list of students wanting to read it. The graphic novel format was definitely appealing and the main character was relatable. Oh the struggles of Smackdown voting - do I vote for my favorite or my students? 


This round I am basing my vote on student recommendations so my vote goes to New Kid.

Everyone else: Winner - New Kid


No comments:

Post a Comment