Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Moonrise vs. The Benefits of Being an Octopus

Audiobook vs hard copy of a  book can , at time, make a difference!
Checking out EPL as soon as I got my titles, I quickly took out the audio version of Octopus, and hated it. Perhaps it is due to me trying to distract myself on the treadmill while listening, but I just could not buy in to the characters, or the plot. The reading level was low, perhaps appealing to grade 4/5 and I can't see my Junior High students sticking through the muck of this book! However, as time goes, my audio copy returned and eventually, I resorted to the hard copy. Through reading the final few chapters on my own, I liked the story and characters a bit more but sadly, I quickly realized that although sad and desperate, Zoey's life will never improve with such negative mentors around her. Even those that should be in her corner, disappoint. Her mother, in an abusive relationship, finally makes one good decision but I was already too far gone in my dislike of all the characters to change my mind. I want to feel bad for Zoey, I really do, but her story is just simply too negative to vote this one through (and yes I know this is a reality for many students/ kids but perhaps my real life students have all my sympathy right now in their struggles)!

Now onto the good stuff!
Moonrise was such a pleasant read. Dealing with the date of your brother's execution while he sits on  death row is unimaginable; dealing with an innocent brother on death row is unforgivable. In this heartbreaking story, the reader is taken on a journey with the protagonist to spend time with the brother he barely knows before his impending death. Knowing you' re going to lose someone that you are finally getting to know and that all hope, no matter what you or any one does, is fruitless, grips the reader's attention from the beginning and keeps you hanging on in hopes of redemption. A lovely story, although truly sorrowful, the plot is relevant, appealing, and new.

~Jan Reimer readers

No comments:

Post a Comment