Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Friday, May 10, 2019

Rambling sketchy reflections....


Another year of Smackdown reaches its inevitable conclusion and as usual I’m in a muddle as to my favourite book!  I’ve just competed Far From the Tree and I loved the characters and the way the author investigates adoption and fostering through so many different lens.

Looking back. I loved Darius the Great and I felt it didn’t fall into that woe-be-gone victim mentality that so many YA books do with way too much teenage angst, despite the fact that the protagonist had lots of reasons to feel sorry for himself!  And I so enjoyed Poet X.  Truth be told, Nevermoor did not do a lot for me as I found the story unbelievable and the characters undeveloped.

If I had my druthers, I’d be voting for I Ride, because that book just grabbed me and took me for a delightful ride.  I wanted to ride that Amtrack train and be a mom to that wonderful girl.  But that book is not to be, was smacked right off the table.

So it came down, for me at least, to a very tight choice between the last three.   Far From the Tree is my winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment