Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

The 57 Bus

Well, I'd have to say that this final round of the Smackdown has left me wanting. I found all three finalists good, but not as great as some previous years - I think that Scythe spoiled me a little too much.
I don't know if Far From the Tree and Poet X were hyped up so much that they were let downs for me, but they were nothing that I'd write home about, and I don't know if they'll be titles that I remember in the future. While I appreciate that Far From the Tree addressed the topics of adoption and teen pregnancy from multiple viewpoints, I am never a fan of books that wrap up all neat and tidy, and Tree did this to a nauseating extent for me. Had the ending been messier, I may have it given it more consideration.
Ultimately, The 57 Bus got my vote. I, too, vaguely remember hearing about this story on the news, so I was excited to read more about it. In addition to this, I'm always a sucker for non-fiction in YA. Personally, I learned a lot from reading this book, and I think that teachers could do a tonne with this book in classrooms.
Thank you for another great year of Smacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment