Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Thursday, March 7, 2019

Poet X and The Marrow Thieves: Two Great Books




True Story: As is often, nay, always, the case, no matter when the Smackdown deadline is I am somehow mentally (physically, emotionally, etc) incapable of finishing both books anytime prior to an hour before midnight on the posting deadline. I was very hopeful that this time I would change that unfortunate pattern, as I finished Poet X almost a month ago, but it was not to be. So, there I was sinking into the last chapters of The Marrow Thieves after the rest of the family was tucked away snug in their beds. I finished up and was still in that kind of over-tired wired zone, that I would usually just use to push through and write my typically manic blog post, but I just couldn’t do it. Tired? Yes. And, if not entirely indecisive - like most of our small (SBS) and large (Smackdown Group 2) team, Poet X had left an indelible impression on me - I really deeply enjoyed both books and was struggling to articulate a sound rationale. I often think about how these tough calls in The Smackdown have us grappling between two books we might give to very different kids, and while there are certainly kids that each of these texts might speak to more than the other, I’ve found myself wanting to thrust them both into more than a few hands these past few weeks. So, it was pushing 10:00 and I just didn’t have it in me to just start writing and see where it leads (my usual strategy). Instead, I slunk downstairs to watch The Sopranos. No, this is not some TV snob type thing (although I am one) celebrating the 20th anniversary of that landmark show. One day, a few months back I just happened across an old episode on HBO and found it strangely calming and for the last little while I’ve been working my way through the series (again) as some strange form of meditation that I probably could use my own Dr. Melfi to help me sort out.

Well, last night’s episode was a strange fever dream of a viewing experience (Season 5 episode 11 for you aficionados out there) and in the most serendipitous way it provided me with some kind of clarity on why Poet X was so powerful. While not entirely devoid of a narrative arc, the storyline itself certainly wasn’t as carefully crafted or plotted as most episodes, yet it was riveting to watch, held together by what many would consider one of the great acting performances in film history (over the span of the whole series)  by the late James Gandolfini. Reading Poet X is like watching a true master performance. Let me be clear: Poet X is not lacking in the area of plot or narrative craftsmanship, but the heart of its power is Xiomara, our narrator and yes, truly, our poet. As I read this book I was really struck by what I can only call an unbridled honesty that came through both in voice and subject matter. This book was a reminder of how fiction can provide us with a different depth of truth than what we sometimes call reality. We see nuanced aspects of Xiamora and the world she inhabits that we more often than not cannot access in “real“ life, even with those closest to us. This is an epic work of art, by a poet of note and I think it would be a compelling and valuable read for our junior high folks - guys and girls alike- right up to old guys like me.

Here’s the big challenge I have: I can tell you why we chose Poet X, but I don’t know if I can tell you why we didn’t choose The Marrow Thieves. I think it is a powerful and moving book and I really enjoyed reading it. I don’t think it is too big a stretch to say that this novel - set in a not too distant future - speaks to ideas and concerns, most notably our glacially slow response to a world-wide environmental crisis and similarly limited commitment to truth and reconciliation in regard to our First Nations that will decide how we ultimately see ourselves - and how we are seen - as a nation. It also has fully realized characters and a gripping narrative. Only one book can move forward and that is Poet X, but you should read The Marrow Thieves and I will go ahead and attach my zombie pick to it right now. And now, with all of this reading out of the way, I’m going to watch TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment