Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Nevermoor vs Piecing Me Together



Piecing Me Together by Renee Watson
This was a great read for me because it
felt relatable (from when I was a teenager)
and it was well crafted. I found the storyline
to be a bit of a sleeper, however. What I mean
is that the climax was pretty subtle. It is a nice,
gentle read. I think it is a great for junior high
students who like realistic fiction. DS


Nevermoor - The Trials of Morrigan Crow
by Jessica Townsend

This was a fantastic book. I had trouble
putting it down. I loved the characters and
that it kept me guessing about the plot.
This is a great story for students (and adults)
who like clean fantasy, with a hint of danger,
and strong characters. The narrative is also
well crafted. Between the two stories, my
vote goes to Morrigan Crow and her trials. DS


Ellerslie really enjoyed both the
books for very different reasons,
and we will be purchasing both
books to have in our classroom
libraries and school library, however
all of us agree that Nevermoor
is the winner. We all thought
it was well crafted, well written,
engaging and would be enjoyed
by students of all ages (and as adults, we all loved it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment