Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

It's a Hard Day For a Booktator!

Image result for child having a fit


Why? Why do people disagree with me? Right, because I encourage it, because reading the same book and coming to have completely different feelings about it is the biggest part of reading magic for me. A writer writes, a reader comes and then each time something different occurs.  With a vote of six to three with two fence sitters (or possible forgetters) Piecing Me Together won the battle of ABM over Nevermoor. Much has been said about Nevermoor and its Harry Potter/Charlie and the Chocolate feel and I think it is outstanding. However, we must spend more time today on the book that is moving on. Here are the voters feelings:

Tammy: This book as immediately given to my daughter to read. I loved the connections between Art and Voice - struggle and resilience. Watson created a character grappling with gender, race and class discrimination. She was smart, vulnerable and in the end autonomous.

Holly: This book shows the true difficulty and struggles that many face with no easy way out and lack of support from their family who are just buys themselves trying to survive. I think this book would be a good fit for some of our kids who would want to read around these themes without the language and events that we see in The Hate You Give.

Andrew: I believe that the best lesson from the book is the "Don't give up" comments and the fact that postie outcomes occur when this advice is followed.

Annabel: This was the book I was looking for. A strong female who realizes her own inner potential and recognizes she doesn't need 'fixing' more than anyone else.I loved her struggle with being given opportunities that others thought she needed rather than those that supported the direction she wanted her life to go in.

Lisa: A gentler The Hate You Give that is appropriate for JH. Well written with some thought-provoking passages around her parents and a Dairy Queen run-in with boys.

Arlene: I read it all in one go the Christmas before last and the story has stayed with me ever since. It is making its way through my Grade 9 girls right now and there hasn't been one yet that has not enjoyed it. Many of them read Nevermoor last year and when asked which they would vote for, they tell me Piecing Me Together. One wrote: "Jade's mentor, Maxine, is a character that grows on you. Did I mention there is absolutely no romance whatsoever? That's because not all young women think about boys non-stop. Take note."

There you have it folks. Sounds like an outstanding book - some real magic there. For me Morrigan was all that and Nevermoor.

No comments:

Post a Comment