Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Monday, January 7, 2019

Marrow Thieves vs Goat


Debbie Piasetsky - Alberta Ed, Norma Johnson - Sweet Grass, Vanessa LeCaine - Sweet Grass


Marrow Thieves - Cherie Dimaline The Goat -Anne Fleming
     vs

Vanessa - I listened to the Marrow Thieves earlier this year and I loved it.  The
narrator had a slow, melodic cadence and I really got a feel for the book.  I did
struggle at the beginning to figure out that it was not set in the now but the
not-too-distant future.  The idea of “harvesting” from specific populations is not
old but this was definitely a new take. Loved the tie in to Indigenous culture and
the way this story was told.  And then I read GOAT. A short book, cutesy cover,
was sure it would be a nice light snack. But it was a lovely surprise...a series
of intertwined stories that revolved around a goat living on the roof of a high rise
in New York City.  The stories are short but there is still strong character
development and you get a attached to the folks in these stories quickly. Here is
the dilemma....there are incredibly different books for very different audiences.
I loved them both for different reasons.  

Ok - this was a hard one but I am going to go with Goat.  After a couple of
weeks of sitting on it, Goat it the one that is sticking with me best.

Norma - Enjoyed both books.  Found it easier to get into The Goat.  My choice
for this round is The Goat.

Debbie - I too listened to “Marrow Thieves” and loved it. I thought for sure it
would be the book I chose to move forward. But then I hunkered down with
“The Goat” over the break and loved it too...equally...but for different reasons.
To make this quick, I am choosing “The Goat” to move forward because I think
students from grades 4-12 could enjoy it and learn from it. I will definitely be
nominating “Marrow Thieves” for my zombie pick later on though.

No comments:

Post a Comment