Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Friday, May 8, 2015

The Night Gardener gets my (green) thumbs up!

"I'll Give you the Sun" and "Night Gardener" - literally night and day.  Apples and oranges.  But both a battle between the 'good' and the 'evil' found in life.
Okay, so that is a little melodramatic - however, they are totally different books.  Neither would be the book I would likely choose to read on my own (without the push of the Mighty Smackdown driving my reading selection I can safely say this is the truth), but I am glad I read both.  Both were good reads. Not great, but good.

SO, with all of this being said, I am putting my final vote on "The Night Gardener".  A little Coraline-ish at times in its creepiness - sure to catch the imagination of many young teens.  "I'll Give you the Sun", although a good story, was a wee bit mature for many junior high readers (and since I often think "hmmm, would my students enjoy this?"....)

That's it.  That's all I have to say.
DP


No comments:

Post a Comment