Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Monday, April 14, 2014

Counting by 7s vs. Leonard Peacock


COUNTING BY 7'S vs FORGIVE ME LEONARD PEACOCK

As the chosen blogger for ABM this time around (more like the voluntold!), I'm reporting that we almost came to a consensus with the exception of...surprisingly not Andrew...HOLLY!! She was the lone stray vote for Leonard Peacock. Although she loved Counting by 7's she wanted to vote for the edgier read and display her support for the love of the teacher. Still, she has been outvoted! Andrew's exact words - "I HATED Leonard Peacock!" 

As Travis mentioned in his previous post, I too was worried about Willow and her school endeavors...I didn't see it going well for her at all! I have seen a few of these students in my career and always hope those around will be kind and accepting. Thankfully, unlike many others in similar situations, Willow found her group and I as a reader would have taken her home if I could. I loved her thoughts and 'matter of fact' statements that so many of us think but she was able to just say (Ok sometimes I say them but really shouldn't!) It did make me laugh out loud even though part of the initial story was tragic. Not the typical tragedy story, but more a story of how tragedy leads to an outsider being forced to find a place, resulting in the overall kindness and caring of strangers...One of my favorite books of this year's Smackdown! 

On a side note - I still can't believe Bomb has moved on!!
DO for ABM

No comments:

Post a Comment