Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Thursday, November 18, 2021

My Team Betrayed Me....

 How my Team Betrayed Me....A Smackdown story 2021



              Show Me a Sign       We Dream of Space

  vs  

Vanessa: 

Ok - I feel like for the last few Smackdowns I have gotten a book in the first round that I really don’t like.  And 2021 has not disappointed.  That book this year is Show Me a Sign. It’s too bad because I thought the idea of exploring that deaf culture is so much more than just using sign language was portrayed really well.  Unfortunately, I found the writing awful, and I was begging the author to “pick a lane”.  If she had stuck to the idea of deaf culture, how the deaf were treated in that time and how language had evolved, I think the book would have been much better.  But she threw Indigenous rights, and then a kidnapping which I'm sure was done to liven up the story but failed for me.  I just wanted to book to be over.


We Dream of Space was a closer connection for me personally as I worked for the Challenger Space Centre for Education.  I was Bird, I wanted to go to space and I even applied to the astronaut program.  One would argue that is also lacked focus but for me, the story of the three siblings and how they came together at the end of it all was a clear winner for me.

To infinity and beyond.....


Mel: My pick is “Show me a Sign”.  I enjoy historical fiction so had never heard about some villages in Martha’s Vineyard which had higher numbers of deaf people before.  I did find the overlapping focus a little too politically correct - like she was trying to hit every relevant topic in one shot - however,  still readable.   This one wins by a very slight edge for me.


The space one, I thought was alright - I had higher hopes for it maybe. I remember watching that launch and subsequent disaster in my Grade 9 social class so was hoping for MORE about that.  The family kind of irritated me….although I give the kids credit by the end for actually being nice to each other.  I am a little weary of books that hop characters in each chapter….unless they do a really clear and good job of it.  I thought this character “hopping” felt confusing and I didn’t settle into the rhythm of that until several chapters in.


Norma: I didn’t really love either of these books.  They both tried too hard and fizzled out with wanting to have a neatly tied up ending.  I’m choosing Show Me a Sign to move forward because it made me want to check out the history of the deaf on Martha’s Vineyard.


Emily: I had such high hopes for both Show Me a Sign and We Dream of Space, but ultimately both were somewhat disappointing to me. 


Show Me a Sign tried to touch on too many social justice issues in one book with deaf culture, indigenous rights and racism and as a result, none of the issues felt impactful in the story. I also found that the author would jump between events too frequently, and as a result it felt like the story had no momentum until the final fifty pages or so. I really had to force myself to get through this book. 


I am a fan of novels that jump between perspectives, so I was hooked right away with We Dream of Space. But as the story went on, I kept wishing that the siblings' individual stories would tie together more. And in the end, I really wanted more resolution to each of the siblings' stories, especially Fitch’s. Bird’s story was the most fleshed-out, and I think even if for her story alone, this book is worth reading. But, ultimately it felt unfinished, like this book was part one of a really great story, which is odd to say when the book was over 300 pages. However, I did enjoy reading this book much more than Show Me a Sign, so my vote is for We Dream of Space. 


Stephanie: Maybe it’s because I was in the midst of a move and parent-teacher conference prep, but I actually found it quite hard to get into We Dream of Space.  When I did find a spare few minutes and was able to sit down and read, it never grabbed my attention enough to keep me reading on. I did manage to finish the book and definitely appreciated Bird as a female protagonist. I, at times, found the flip-flopping between characters a tad confusing, but again I think it’s because I really wasn’t that interested in most of these characters. I tried to imagine what it would be like reading this book as a teenager and if the topics would be relevant and engaging for that age-group, and I think that with the variety of personalities, teenage angst and family dynamics presented, that it would be. 


After reading my teammates' entries, I definitely agree with the fact that Show Me a Sign dealt with too many topics and issues, but I still found it to be the better book. I am a big lover of historical fiction, and I liked the main character Mary and some of the secondary characters like her father and Ezra a lot. Perhaps the kidnapping plot was a bit contrived, but it actually worked for me. I was scared for Mary when she was alone with Andrew and at that point of the book, I couldn’t stop reading. I also had no idea about how some villages in Martha’s Vineyard had higher numbers of deaf people, so I found that historical piece very interesting. My pick is Show Me a Sign; however, my fingers are crossed that round 2 has more engaging books.


Rushmi:

My pick for this round is We Dream of Space. I too was excited but in reality both books were lackluster. Show me a Sign didn’t do justice to any one of the topics it tried to stir up, and didn’t hold my interest. We Dream of Space seemed out of touch for youngsters, trying really hard to bring the thrill of the 80s alive, which just doesn’t cut it in this day and age. I really wish the stories had been developed more and even touched one another more. However, because of the challenges the kids face, being siblings, and having to eventually understand each other, I choose this book. The main point that takes the win for this book from me is the idea around project based learning around a current event.


Jon: A VERY LONG post about why he chose Show Me A Sign....


As the team poster, I really hoped that Show Me A Sign would NOT move on but that is the thing with Smackdown, you can think you have a ultimate winner but books are like wine, sometimes you like a red, sometimes you like a white.....

Moving ON_ Show Me a Sign


No comments:

Post a Comment