Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

When the Ground is Hard...for the Win

I found Fighting Words a difficult read.  Difficult because of the content and because I am not sure who I would recommend this book to.  I know abuse happens and that kids are dealing with it.  If kids are unaware I don’t want to give them the book.  If kids are aware and it has happened or is happening to them, then I don’t want to add to their pain.  This may have to do with my elementary lens.  The format of Clap When You Land took a moment to sort out.  I do  like the format.  I just needed to recognize the voices of the sisters.  Once I had that understanding I found the book likeable.  The main characters found their way to each other with twists and turns along the way.  When the Ground is Hard is the big winner for me.  The story of friendship amid differences was a triumph.  


My vote is When the Ground is Hard

Norma from Sweet Grass!


When the Ground is Hard is my winner, hands (or feet in this case) down.  It is a beautiful story that I would be comfortable recommending to a wide variety of readers, my mother and daughters included.

Colleen from Sweet Grass

No comments:

Post a Comment