Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Monday, May 11, 2020

The Final Three

Patron Saints of Nothing: This book tackled a timely and difficult topic in a way which engaged me.  I flew through the book despite thinking I might not when I first picked it up. 

Moonrise: I could not put this novel down.  I read it in one big, late night gulp which left me feeling prickly eyed and fluffy brained the next day.  Although I love novels in verse, I actually forgot this was in verse while I was reading it.  Good thing, bad thing? I'm not sure, but I was on the edge of my seat and invested in all the characters and their outcomes.  I could 'feel' from all the perspectives in this novel.

Mason Buttle: The heart and soul of this book was Mason.  Throughout the book I was rooting for him, trying to keep him going and willing him to overcome.  I was invested in his 'Dragon' and found his use of it inspiring, to me it was perfect that what he produced on it became key to the story.  The idea of discovering the power of writing in whatever way works for you is close to my heart. 

My winner?  All three are winners for me.  Each deserves its place in this final.  In the end hope won it for me.  Mason Buttle made me feel hope after I flipped the last page and that is why I want to celebrate this exquisite novel.  Mason Buttle for the win for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment