Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Patron Saints of Nothing vs Moonrise

Smackdown the Tenth - Round 4
Debbie, Vanessa, Norma and Joelle

  vs


Vanessa: These were both really good books and it was nice to have to think hard about
which book to move forward.  Although the stories were rich in both, I am going to have
to go with Moonrise. It was so beautifully written and crafted - not good for my
elementary library but I know many older kids I could share this with.  Loved it. My
vote is Moonrise.
Zombie pick: Ebb and Flow

Norma: Both books were great.  My pick to move forward is Moonrise. I found the
way Moonrise was written was very appealing.  It made for easy reading and sustained
my attention all the way through.
Zombie pick: Ebb and Flow

Debbie: I enjoyed Patron Saints, but loved Moonrise. I am a sucker for a well-written
novel in verse and this book was just that. My heart broke for Joe and his family and
I thought the author  peeled back the layers of this story masterfully. Her portrayal of
Joe and all he had to go through, as a 17 year old, highlights for us the fact that we
can never truly know what goes on in the lives of our students. Sometimes, for some
of our students, just getting to school everyday is a major accomplishment. My vote
is for Moonrise. 
My zombie pick: Ebb and Flow


No comments:

Post a Comment