Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Hey Kiddo, it looks like Mason Buttle is moving on....

Smackdown the 10th
Round 2


Kim, Vanessa, Deb, Norma


vs

Hey Kiddo                            The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle


Vanessa:  Well its Round 2 so I always think it’ll get harder and harder for me to decide.  That is not the case yet.  Hey Kiddo was a perfect story for the graphic novel format because the story was not over-run with details and I loved the inclusion of real-life letters and notes.  However, I think I would have liked it better if there was more detail and the story itself was richer.  I just wanted a little more.  I really loved Mason Buttle - the story showed how big Mason’s heart was and how he just wanted to find someone to love and to make sure he was doing the right thing.  And the way it is written, I can hear Mason so clearly in my head.  This was, however, a real apples versus oranges round because of format, fiction vs non,  and even audience.  Even with all the differences considered, my vote is for Mason Buttle!

Norma:  I read Mason Buttle first and really loved it.  I was quickly engrossed in the story and the way it was written. Students could find a way to access this story very easily.  Hey, Kiddo was o.k.  I did not enjoy the format.  I thought the information provided in the author’s note added some details that was missing in the story.  I didn’t find that the artwork added any additional information to what was in print.  I also found the print too small for me.  
For me the clear winner is Mason Buttle.
Deb: I was not expecting to enjoy “Hey Kiddo” as much as I did based on the story summary. I just wasn’t sure I was up for an “angsty” teenager read, right before Christmas but to my surprise, I did enjoy it. I’m a sucker for a good graphic novel and I thought the addition of notes and cards, etc. was an engaging way to add to the story. I think it would be a book that many teens would enjoy and identify with, although I know others might be distracted by all the extras that I found appealing. Having said all of this, I am voting for “The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle”. I loved the story and was emotionally attached to my man Mason right from the beginning. I thought the story was really well written, engaging and appropriate for a wide audience. Go Mason go!!!

Kim: (Sorry, will write next time.) My vote is for Mason Buttle - loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment