Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Far Away VS. We'll Fly Away (winner)

Our mighty team is spread throughout the Division so we used a good old Google Form to compile our votes and rationales.
For our team the overwhelming choice was for “We’ll Fly Away” We will look forward to seeing how much further this story flies through the next rounds!


Positive points for “Far Away”:
I enjoyed this book. It was an interesting story and one that might appeal to Division 2
students.

This round, for me, seemed to be about characters. Far Away welcomed me into the
story, and I felt like I knew the characters better, like we became friends over the
course of the novel, and like I was along for the journey. Maybe they were easier to
connect with?

I was also intrigued by the content - the idea of the Far Away - the contemplation
of what happens to us after death and the hope that we can maintain connection to
our loved ones once they leave us.


Positive Points for “We’ll Fly Away” 
It's been stated previously in more than a few reviews, but I think the insights
gained into the lives of those on the outside looking in at your garden variety
"middle class" life, are valuable for a range of students to ponder as is the simple
notion that immediate choices can have far-reaching consequences.


I think this is the better of the two books. The story was heartbreaking and
reminded me of many of the students I have worked with over the years.
Our students live in such difficult homes and we often don't
even know. The two main characters, Luke and Toby looked after one
another and having goals was what kept them out of trouble . . . until it didn't.
It also spoke to the power of friendship, sports, a positive adult in
ones life and what supports are in place for kids like Luke and Toby.
The way the story was written was also
compelling (with the letters to T interspersed) and kept the reader interested
until the very end. And it made me think about death sentences
(which was the catalyst for the Author to write this book) - does one
decision define who you are forever? And. . . I might have cried a little.


"We'll Fly Away" is a gripping story. I was drawn in by the harsh, horrible
circumstances our protagonists had to live in. Ultimately their circumstances;
poverty, abuse, neglect get the best of them in spite of their friendship and loyalty.
This book is tough. It was pretty much too tough for me, especially over the
Christmas holiday. I was emotionally exhausted by it but compared to the fluff
of "Far Away", it was a clear winner for me. 


This book had me in suspense right to the end to see what the big event was.
It speaks to the important of friendship, sports (or a strong interest, a supportive
adult, goals, and supporting those you care about
are some of the ideas related to this book it is slot but is well written and doesn't
feel forced you felt like you were getting to know the characters and could empathize
with them be sure to read the authors note.


I struggled at the beginning, but by the middle I was hooked. I wanted to know
more about the characters and how they would develop with the circumstances
fate had handed them. There was real emotion and
life lessons learned, but throughout it all--the two boys had the strong bond of friendship
to keep them going until the end.... A good book, but not one that my JH students
would be able to relate to.


The Case Against “Far Away”
Too far fetched for my brain - limited connection with the characters or the plot


Although the story was engaging and entertaining, I found parts of the story
to be unbelievable.I was frustrated that CJ was still looking for 'signs' right to the very end. 


I wanted to give a "Mighty Smackdown" to the lead character for her silly,
willful ignorance. I guess for younger readers there are some good lessons
about how things and people aren't always what they
appear to be, but overall, Far Away was just too fluffy for me. 


While did enjoy this book it did seem a bit far fetched at times, even within the
context of the story would a 12 year old really call out the adult she loves
to that extent? Speaks to how easily being dishonest, even
to protect someone, can get out of hand.


The Case Against “We’ll Fly Away” 
It felt a little bit like every possible issue was thrown into one book


The language and social situations are certainly "authentic", but they
might be a bit "too" authentic for some of my JH students. 


The story was great and kept me engaged but I found the writing
frustrating at times. I often had to slow down and reread parts and was
occasionally still not sure what the author was saying. It didn't really deter
from the story but was annoying at times. 


My goodness, is there not a single good adult in the world of this story?
I know the coach was there on the periphery, but wow, it was super-depressing
how blind the whole school and outside community was
to the abuse and neglect that the characters were living with.
Grim. Very grim. 


I struggled to connect to the characters in comparison to Far Away
- for an embarrassingly long time I struggled to know who was who on the
character front. And in a cruel way, struggling to know who was
who made me much less concerned about the outcome for these guys.


I can't say there's anything bad about the novel...it just wasn't for me.
These characters weren't my friends, and I didn't get to ride shotgun
in the car with them, and felt like they left me behind on their journey. 


The topics may be too heavy for younger students without discussion.


Some of the descriptions and topics are meant for older readers.


No comments:

Post a Comment