Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Poet X for the win but it's hard to not vote 57 Bus through too!

Krystal- I am voting Poet X through as I think the appeal will be similar to Crossover making poetry accessible to our students. The story is sweet and they will connect with Xiomara Batista ('X') and the struggles she faces in her identity as well as coping with family and community values that are not aligned with her own. 

Before I sign off on The 57 Bus, I feel I need to justify why I'm not voting for it! I loved the authors fair treatment of both sides of the story while developing and explaining the crime. I found it interesting and educational and feel like Sasha's story has had a profound impact on my understanding of LGBTTQQIAAP (sorry If I've not used the most current acronym) culture and definitions. I feel that the novel also gave some great insight into youth crime and the impact/ injustice/ treatment  of minority groups within the justice system. (Although in America, is Canada that different statistically?)
So... the appeal was there for me, an adult! I think as far as learning about the crime, teens would love to read the story but the appeal would only go so far and they would then be lost as the remainder of the novel reads statistically and fact based. 
I've really had to ponder the value of the novel and the appeal to the audience I am voting books through for. Unfortunately, I don't think this one will reach as many as I truly wish it would.  

No comments:

Post a Comment