Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Train I Ride vs Long Way Down

Train I Ride by Paul Mosier
OH this book!  I laughed, I cried, I cried again.  What a beautifully written story!  I appreciated the way the secondary characters were developed over the story and how it is the small moments in life that have the biggest impact.
This was a great book and I would highly recommend it for my grade 5 class.  It was a touching story that many kids could relate to.  Ryder’s courage was inspiring and her story brought me to tears.  It was an easy read and kids would enjoy it.  The ending left the reader wanting more and wondering what her life would be like after the train ride.   The endless possibilities of what her life will be like could lead to great open discussions or further writing assignments. After I finished reading the book, I was hoping that a sequel would be made.
 The book would appeal to both Division 2 and Division 3 students. 


Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
How can these books be paired together?  I love the way Jason Reynolds writes about tough issues accessibly and will appeal to all types of readers.  What happened at the end??  Did he finish what he started to do? 
We all enjoyed this book, however all felt it is aimed for Div 3 and higher.  The hidden messages may be a little advanced for most readers in Div 2 and possibly Div 3.  I feel students would miss some of the important parts in the story.  That being said it was a great book, with a great message.  The unanswered ending was also a very engaging way to end the story.  This would be a great book for advanced readers.  The circle of life and consequences of death was an excellent message in the book.  I also enjoyed the skillful way the book took place in an  elevator ride which happened within a couple minutes of time passing.

Such a hard decision, but Ellerslie votes for Train I Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment