Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Friday, April 6, 2018

Holding Up the Universe vs. The Girl in the Blue Coat

Holding Up the Universe wins this round over Girl in the Blue Coat.  I always say it is not what is on the outside that counts in life but what comes from the heart and soul.  An engaging book which made me laugh and cry but so true to life. We should all remember each and every one of us is struggling with something.  It is said, "Don't judge a book by its cover!" and this story is exactly about that.  I love the strength of the characters (especially Libby) and how they persevere and adapt to the conditions around them in order to survive one day at a time.  Teenage years are hard at the best of times and this book gives hope to those who are struggling. (Judy P.)

It seems each round this year I find myself agreeing with Judy. Holding Up the Universe is the book I believe my students would find the most engaging and that’s what I’m basing my decision on this round. (Suanne W.)

Holding Up the Universe wins this round over Girl in the Blue Coat. Libby and Jack are rich and sympathetic characters. Their individual struggles speak to the universal struggles of teens everywhere: What if nobody sees me? What if others only see what they want to see? Why does everyone work so hard to be the same? Fitting in is so much work! What if I don’t ‘recognize’ who is most important to me? How DO I recognize who is important to me? Who do I want to be? The story-telling is engaging, even if the plot structure is well worn, and predictable. The appeal of this round’s winner will, undoubtedly, have a greater reach than its counterpart. (Miriam B.)


Holding Up the Universe wins over Girl in the Blue Coat.  Holding Up the Universe presents two characters who are engaging and pull you into the text. Many ideas are presented in this novel that need further exploring. Niven presents complex characters who are not stereotypical. Both Libby and Jack have experiences that have changed who they are and they are trying to move forward within their circumstances. Niven shows how both Jack and Libby face high school life as outcasts in different ways and how they strive to be true to themselves.  Girl in the Blue Coat resonated with me as I have read many texts in this genre and also being Dutch. I am personally connected to this genre and text as I lived in Amsterdam and my grandparents hid a Jewish family during WWII. This novel did not meet my expectations. The Dutch culture was not accurately developed. The author tried to incorporate the Dutch language early on in the novel, but lacked consistency. The plot was predictable and the plot twist was trite. By far the superior text that would engage readers is Holding Up the Universe. (Linda H.)

I am not sure what to write for the blog, as I, unfortunately, did not get very far in Holding Up the Universe. From what I read, I really enjoyed it! I Love the characterization, the writing style, and that the chapters read from the perspectives of different characters.
I read Girl in the Blue Coat in the first round, and although I enjoyed it, my vote goes to Holding Up the Universe. (Monica B.-E.)

No comments:

Post a Comment