Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Blue Coats of the Universe

I was ready to be won over by Girl in the Blue Coat, as I typically enjoy "WWII/Holocaust" novels, and I was satisfied by it.  It was plot-twisty enough to be unique in its character development, and it seemed more a mystery that happened to be set during WWII where politics took a bit of a background to the central mystery.  Hanneke did frustrate me as she waxed melancholic from time to time or, alternatively, seemed reluctant to help others, but I did warm up to her as she warmed up to saving a girl she had never met.  I also enjoy reading anything having to do with the resistance movements of the time so I liked the history that was portrayed through the characters she encountered.

That said, I chose to read it first knowing I would prefer it - only to be bowled over by Holding Up the Universe.  I'm not a "romance" reader on a good day, so teen romance makes my palms sweat and I feel carsick.  Usually.  However, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed meeting Libby and Jack, and how much I was rooting for both of them as they worked through their own struggles, yet found each other and ended up being the extra bit of strength the other needed.  I liked the book - go figure!

So, my vote goes to Holding Up the Universe, even though I will put Girl in the Blue Coat in a book club for students, because I truly enjoyed the characters.  They were warm, funny, and resilient, and they had a humanity that I just didn't feel with Hanneke.

No comments:

Post a Comment