Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

OCDaniel vs The Girl in the Blue Coat

OCDaniel Vs. The Girl in the Blue Coat
The Girl in the Blue Coat:
To me, the clear winner is Girl in the Blue Coat. Initially, I was a little reluctant to read another historical fiction on WWII as we’ve had quite a few titles in this genre over the years in Smackdown. In the end, I was pleasantly surprised. The narrative was intriguing and the pace of the novel kept the pages turning for me. I enjoyed watching Hanneke evolve into a brave, determined, and a more active participant in her study/supper group. I think mature Div II and most Div III readers would enjoy tackling this text to uncover a different perspective of WWII.

Other thoughts on Blue Coat
  • Hanneke and Elsbeth comparison is interesting and worthwhile to look at how people react to the atrocities of war.
  • Hanneke’s reluctance to be brave and really join the resistance feels believable and authentic - how can anyone today really understand what it means to risk one’s life by joining resistance movements? Can anyone say with true certainty that they would do more?
  • All of the plot twists and the momentum of the novel kept me interested and stuck to my couch for two days
    • I felt like once the story finally picked up, parts of the plot were abandoned (Hanneke’s job, her parents, Elsbeth, to name a few). Maybe this was intentional… I can only assume that once you get wrapped up in a resistance movement, all other parts of your life kind of fade into the background. Maybe I’m reading into this too much and trying to let Hesse off the hook.
  • The conclusion/ resolution of the story feels kind of “happily ever after” (even as I type this, I realize how offensive that comes across…). I appreciate that Hesse didn’t force the narrative or neatly tie up all of the loose ends - that would have ruined everything. Perhaps I’m selfishly looking for more, I want to know a little more about how and where our friends ended up. Were Mina and Judith found? Whatever happens to Willem, Ollie, Hanneke, et al?
  • I really appreciate the writing style of Hesse. I don’t always read the acknowledgements and notes, but this time I did. - I enjoyed her journalistic eye and how this comes across in her writing.


OCDaniel
I have a few issues with OCDaniel. Overall, I would recommend this book as a gateway for discussions of mental health in the classroom. This might also serve as a stepping stone for some research into Mental Health. The story would likely be exciting and interesting for a Div II and III student - basketball, girls, nerves around girls, a potential murder mystery, aliens, etc…  However, in my humble experiences with OCD, I do not appreciate how neatly Daniel’s issues are addressed by his new girlfriend: i.e. “text me when you feel the zaps…”.

I agree that all individuals who struggle with mental illnesses need a lifeline, but this person will not necessarily solve the problem. Finally understanding what is happening to him is a great first step for Daniel, but I think it needs to be clearly stated (perhaps I missed this if I happened to skip the notes following Daniel’s story) that he needs to inform an adult about what is going on. It is so important to seek support from trusted adults and trained professionals. I only worry this story encourages silence - the idea that once we confide in a trusted friend, it’s okay to keep this information from parents and families until we feel better about it.

1 comment:

  1. I disagree about OCD Daniel, I loved this book. Kids have to be ready to discuss their mental illness and I understand that it does seem a little too neat but finding your own voice is really important. This is one of the few books I have seen that describes what is like to live with the zaps and how if you want you can really cover up an issue. How parents can be so unaware that the problem is as bad as is it is. I have added this book to my list of grade 7 and 8 reads for a few kids that would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete