Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Death Comes For Us All!

Dia: We are riding a wave of death...including threats from some outside of our bracket who want Scythe to move on.  I have been under the waves on a couple of brackets this year so why should this be different...I'm voting Refugee. Personally I very much enjoyed Scythe but in terms of student engagement I have to vote for Refugee. It was a read aloud that changed my class. As Beers and Probst say reading should change who you are. Refugee did that for my kids, Scythe didn'

Arlene: Scythe does oust Refugee for me. 

Scythe flies off my desk. Refugee doesn't. If I decide to do Refugee with my class, which I might still, my vote might be different. However, as of right now, students in my class have already spoken. And, while I did enjoy Refugee, I think I enjoyed Scythe even more. 

Lisa:  We are steeping our young people in violence through movies, TV, and video games. I want to believe that reading can be about more than writing the next movie about more killing. Refugee was a book about more than this. Much more.

Annabel: Shockingly Scythe gets my vote.  I couldn't put it down and it made me think deeply about values, technology and where we are going with our world.  It was not a book I expected to like at all and yet even though it was full of violence and death it was fabulous.  Refugee has brilliant and meaningful stories but I didn't hear the 'voice' in all three of the stories; only two of the stories really came to life for me.  

Angie: Surprisingly, Scythe gets my vote as well. I agree with Annabel! I read Refugee first and loved the way the three stories came together. I was in tears by the end and it really brought to life some of the experiences of refugees. I thought for sure that it would be getting my vote. I couldn't put Scythe down and I agree with Annabel's perspective on the book. If someone from our team is putting together the blog and you can add my name, that would be great!

Holly: Gee and here I wanted to come in and be the day wrecker (Lisa) and break the tie, but it seems to be a runaway for Scythe.

I will be sharing Refugee with my class, and appreciated how they tied the past and present struggles of people yearning for freedom. This book offers an opportunity for young readers to see the world through different eyes- I really appreciated hearing the stories of escaping the Castro regime, as well as how difficult it is to seek refuge even today. I think this will be a good dip into the lives of these people for our young readers. I did find the end a bit too convenient to have it all tie together though. I hate when it wraps up like a perfect present that seems made for Hollywood.  I do like that you could share them as separate narratives as well.  

Scythe made me miss reading dystopian YA. A few years ago I had over extended my welcome in that world and needed a break from the genre. This one had me turning pages totally engaged and regretting taking such a long break away from it. It would be in my top 3-4 picks from the genre for sure. It is a fascinating idea, and I do like the idea of a strong female character. I will be reading the second book and would expect many students would love this series. I have a few kids in my class now who I could totally see reading that book in a few years and loving it. I feel like I should make a list for them and seal it in an envelope with the instructions of DO NOT OPEN UNTIL X GRADE for some of my kids.  Ha! 

Sorry Lisa and Dia looks like you've gone and splatted yourself. Send yourself to the nearest revival center.

(BAHAHAHA I have been waiting to use that line...I couldn't resist)

If THuG in the other bracket does not go through I will be contemplating splatting myself as well.   ; ) 

Andrea: I also vote for Scythe. 
I loved Refugee and how all the stories come together at the end but I think Scythe has more of a student appeal.

Tammy: Rarely do I find myself without an opinion...but here I am. I am giving this rounds vote to 'the majority'. Both books are worthy of sending through ... of my gosh, I feel like Arie from the Bachelor ... so conflicted, so in need of clarity😱

There you have it as Jeff Probst would say: "That's two votes Refugee and six votes Scythe. The Tribe has spoken.  Good thing I brought sun screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment