Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Refugee vs The Passion of Dolsa

Image result for the passion of dolssa review                                                   Image result for refugee book

These were both lovely books but I am casting my vote for Refugee.  Refugee by Alan Gratz speaks to an idea or issue that is prevalent in our culture at this time.  It gives context to what a refugee is and how different cultures have been refugees.  I love that this was a novel with three different refugee experiences that happened in different countries and different time periods.  While I do understand the complaint that the novel might be a little heavy handed in supporting refugees, I feel this is a question lots of students have especially in junior high and reading about the experience from varying points of view allows them to make up their own minds about these people's plight. It is so easy for me to see adding this book to my literature circle next year.  It has great character development, comparison of experiences and topical themes. This novel would be a great addition to the classroom for sure.

I really liked "The Passion of Dolsa".  To be honest I am almost finished.  It was beautifully written and I love the relationship between the two girls and the time period.  I think a relationship like this is not explored very often in novels but in the end, it was a lot like other books for me that I read.  A book I would add to my library and suggest for some students but it is not for everybody in my opinion.

In this case, I decided to go with the book I felt would make a greater impact with my students and not the entertaining story.  This is not always the case, I am whimsical like that.  My vote is for Refugee.

2 comments:

  1. We have been using Refugee by reading one strand to three different classes and it has been excellent for everyone involved. I disagree with the heavy handed maybe because I think this book asks what you would do to survive. In these circumstances it seems to me we have to act like the best human beings we can. An accident of birth shouldn't trump human dignity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also disagree that it is heavy handed but I wanted to reference it since it is the complaint I have heard about this book! It is about the will to survive. I am glad to hear this book works with classes!!

    ReplyDelete